Sunday 20 July 2014

THE EVENT!

March 15th was the event. Karachi Pakistan.

It went quite well if I do say so myself. At least I had fun, and I guess that's the point of any work or development of a passion project, to work as hard as you can at it, enjoy the process and go with the flow from there.

The audience was enthusiastic and intently listening and enjoyed the work,  the issues explored were relatable and everyone needed a good laugh and escape with stories and tales that were just written out of pure joy and creative expression.

The young poets and storytellers were very energetic and had a lot of passion dripping from their fingertips as they performed, flailing their hands about and raising their voice every now and then when they reached the climax of their poem.

Some had a lot of pent up frustration that was channeled through their spoken word pieces. Like one girl who wrote a piece about Patriarchy in this society (of which there is still quite a lot) and how she is expected to cook and clean mostly.

I performed my piece about freedom, education and rights. I won the Judge's Pick on Indi.com and I thought of doing a live performance with it.

Here's a link to the indi video. Click on the link to see it!

Mariam Paracha - For Sarah (Performance Storytelling) 

OH! and please do not judge me on the thumbnail, I have no idea how to change it and my lips are doing something really odd.

This event was organised in collaboration with The Second Floor (the non profit organization that I mentioned in my previous post) and Open Letters' a society that I have been working with for a year and spreading poetry through it at their writers meetups.

Best part about Spoken Stage sprouting right now is that there are wuite a few societies that are supporting the arts nowadays especially writing and performance and thus it helps to work together and also it creates a platform for us to stand on rather than having only rubble under our feet. 

Here are some pictures from the event in March! Keep following for more to come!











No comments:

Post a Comment